Tag: truth behind beauty sleep
Beauty Sleep – Fact or Fiction?
Beauty sleep is a phrase that we have all heard before.
I heard this my whole life.
And really paid no attention to the fact that it might be real…
But now that I am older – I have to come to realize…
That it is REAL and very much accurate.
Why do we need beauty sleep?
In order to function at our best each day, what we eat is important. What exercise routine you follow matters too. But when it comes down to getting a good night’s rest, sleep is the most important component.
The National Sleep Foundation suggests that healthy adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night – while babies, young children, and teens need even more sleep to enable their growth and development.
But the problem is…
So many of us aren’t getting enough. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine reports that about 30% of adults in the U.S. regularly do not get enough sleep.
We know that lack of sleep can affect our wellbeing such as our cognitive function, stress levels, increase our blood pressure, cause weight gain, and lower our immune system. But what we might not realize is that our sleep also plays a huge role in the quality of our appearance.
5 Ways Sleep Impacts Our Appearance
1. Getting enough sleep can help save our skin from breakouts.
When we don’t get enough beauty sleep, our bodies release too much of the stress hormone cortisol, which can cause breakouts like pimples and blackheads, even in adults. And no matter what age you are, everyone HATES pimples.
2. Sleep encourages healthy blood flow to your skin, which can even out your skin tone. During sleep, your skin’s blood flow increases, and the organ rebuilds its collagen and repairs damage from UV exposure, reducing wrinkles and age spots. This can also help to prevent veins from peeking through and causing visible discoloration.
3. It can make us look happier!
Lack of sleep can actually cause the corners of the mouth to droop, making our face look sadder than we would after a good night’s rest. We also tend to frown more. If people say we look tired, it is because it really does show with our expression. Red, swollen eyes, dark circles, sagging eyelids, and paler skin can also signal to others that we are exhausted. Plus, when we sleep, we feel rested and more energized. When we have more energy, we feel more ourselves and feel more prone to showing off our beautiful smiles!
4. Now, it isn’t just about skin. Hair loss, breakage, damage, and even growth can all be affected by lack of sleep. Hair follicles (where hair growth begins) gain nutrients, vitamins, and minerals from blood flow. Since blood flow decreases when we’re short on sleep, our hair gets less nutrition and it weakens and can have difficulty growing.
Lack of sleep can also increase our stress levels. And this can lead to an increase in the hormone cortisol, which can lead to hair loss.
5. When we enter deep sleep, our body goes into recovery mode and produces growth hormones. These growth hormones create new cells that help heal our skin from any damage done during the day. Our skin actually uses the hours we sleep to heal itself from the day’s damage. So when we sleep, our skin gets the chance to improve. That rosy glow in the morning is real!
These growth hormones also include repairing collagen-producing cells. So our skin makes new collagen when we sleep too. Collagen is necessary to fill out your skin and prevent wrinkles from developing. The growth hormones ensure that your skin is producing enough collagen, which keeps your skin tight and elastic and allows your skin to repair acne and scarring across your body.
So as you can see, beauty sleep is real! And can greatly impact your skin and hair. Be sure to get as much sleep as you can. If you are having trouble sleeping, take a look at our article on ways to unwind. When we feel more relaxed, the more likely we are to be able to fall asleep at night!
Adding a collagen supplement to your regime is always a great idea too! Try out Complete Collagen+ to give your skin the benefits it needs and deserves!